United Way’s health goal is to enable individuals and families to improve their health. This requires increasing access to health care and health insurance, but also creating healthy communities, increasing physical activity and access to healthy food, and ensuring that children and families get off to a healthy start.
Good health is an essential ingredient for individual success and a thriving community. Healthy kids are more likely to succeed in school. The whole community will flourish when all of our residents have access to public parks, playgrounds, healthy foods and quality healthcare. United Way of Pettis County is committed to more than short-term charity for a few; we are committed to lasting solutions that build opportunity for all.
The United Way of Pettis County provides funding and support to the following Agencies that focus on improving these areas:
- Promotes Healthy Lifestyles: Boys and Girls Club, Girl Scouts, Sedalia Civil Air Patrol, and Boy Scouts
- Provides Support for Healthy Independent Living for Seniors: Sedalia Senior Center
- Provides Healthy Food: Open Door Service Center, Salvation Army, and Community Cafe
- Provides homebound seniors with nutritious meals: Sedalia Senior Center
- Provides Transportation for Seniors to medical appointments: Sedalia Senior Center
- Provides personal care and hygiene items: Pettis County Community Partnership and Salvation Army
- Provides Financial Assistance for Adaptive Equipment for those individuals with Disabilities: Association for Persons with Disabilities
- Offers Applied Behavior Analysis (ABA) Therapy for children with Autism and adults with intellectual and developmental disabilities: Center for Human Services
- Offers Aquatics Therapy, Supported Employment Services, Family and Community Support Services, and Community Living/Residential Services to support individuals with intellectual or developmental disabilities: Center for Human Services
- Offers assistance for adaptive equipment for visually impaired individuals: Blind of Central MO
- Provides people and organizations access to dogs that are trained to support mental wellbeing: Retrieving Freedom
- Offers Telephone Assistance for visually impaired individuals: Blind of Central MO
- Provides Youth & Family Counseling: Show Me Christian Youth Home and New Life Community Impact Center
- Offers Support Groups to visually impaired individuals: Blind of Central MO
- Offers Life Coaching, along with addiction and mental health support: New Life Community Impact Center
The United Way of Pettis County partners with local non-profit organizations to create educational cooking classes called Set the Table. These classes are free and attendees get to take home an electric skillet, cooking utensils, and any additional supplies and food prepared by participants.
The United Way of Pettis County also partners with SingleCare in providing access to their prescription savings card. The free SingleCare prescription savings card helps to reduce the cost of prescription medication. The card has unlimited use, so individuals can apply it to every prescription they fill. Better yet, the card works for both the insured and the uninsured – anyone can use it! For more information on SingleCare, click on the Resource tab on our website.